Powell Scholars Program at UOP

Nayaab Ahmed, Writer/Editor

The Powell Scholars program is a scholarship at the University of Pacific in Stockton. This program seeks high-achieving students who demonstrate leadership potential across all majors. It is more than just a scholarship program at UOP, but a life-changing experience as it ensures the creation of tomorrow’s leaders. The Aspire Langston Hughes Academy counselor, Mr. Espinoza has much knowledge regarding this program and is the perfect person to ask questions, if any. This program will be extremely beneficial to many students on campus and can be a transformative experience. 

The steps for applying to the Powell Scholarship include completing the Common App or Pacific app application by simply answering the supplemental questions. The application can be submitted either November 15, Early Action, or Jan 15, Regular Action. The application includes 2 essay questions that are required to complete in order to apply for the Powell Scholars. Following is an interview process in February where finalists will be invited to campus to interview with the Powell Scholars selection committee. The final decisions will be made in March and those students will compete for up to 10 scholarships awarded annually by UOP. Personal interviews are used in the selection process to evaluate each candidate’s potential for intellectual and leadership growth, global study, research and creative efforts, and the capacity to change the world.

The qualified candidates for the Powell Scholars program includes certain scholarship eligibility criteria. This includes a cumulative high school GPA of 3.7 or higher, Undertaken a rigorous academic curriculum such as Honors, AP, and IB programs, and demonstrated leadership abilities or potential in two or more areas, such as but not limited to student government, volunteer work, civic organizations, cultural groups, artistic or scientific activities, or sports. Those who meet these criteria are encouraged to definitely consider or apply to the Powell Scholars program at UOP. Lastly, those who are accepted receive an annual merit scholarship of $44,000, an amount of $5,000 for independent research projects and an amount of $2,500 for study abroad expenses. Overall, the Powell Scholars program is a fantastic scholarship opportunity that students should take advantage of at University of the Pacific.